What to Do: Your Alabama Teen Found with Alcohol

Apr 26, 2019 | Allen A. Ritchie

Kids and Drinking

The legal term is called Minor in Possession (MIP). The real-life experience is a call from the local jail.

It is just about summer and for many Alabama teens that translates to let the party begin. It is a party that can have serious ramifications.

The law is not here to punish teens (though it will), but rather to keep the public safe. I help injured people every day to get the money they need to get well. You would be surprised how often the tragedy began with a teen drinking and driving.

Here is the law:

  • In Alabama, no one under the age of 21 can legally drink. In fact, they cannot possess, purchase or transport alcohol.
  • It is also illegal to use a fake ID. (Really, I had to tell you this?)

If arrested and there is no damage or injury, most first-time offenders are put through the humiliation of an overnight jail stay and going before a judge. The result is often probation and or community service. Oh, yeah it will cost someone (mostly the parents) a lot of money. Lawyers alone can cost thousands.

Here is the fact that I have seen deter a number of Alabama teens. An arrest can leave them without a license to drive. The Department of Public Safety is separate from the court and will take their license from 3 to 6 months. It will also cost them nearly $300 to get it back. It is called a reinstatement fee.

Tell your teen this: do you want to spend most of your senior year without a car? That is a legal fact they can remember.

If you or a loved one is injured, you can talk to us at the Law Firm of Eiland and Ritchie for free. We help all kinds of people and if we can’t help, we will tell you who can.

Also join us on NBC 15 LawCall here in Mobile every Sunday night at 10:30 right after the news. We will take your calls live.

Allen Ritchie

Alabama Personal Injury Lawyer